Thursday, January 19, 2017

Rainbow in My Own Backyard

Women Wed NH State House


rainbow sign at Capitol Center for the Arts
"Congrats Newlyweds Pam & Maddie"
marquee at the Capitol Center for the Arts 
At 1:33pm on the 15th of January 2017, I was officially pronounced married to my best friend, Pam. We wed on the State House lawn in the cold of winter, because following the November election we worried we might not have the privilege to marry in the future. But also because we wanted a reason to bring people together. Concord has been a welcoming home to us. It' the supportive community where I began my first business venture. And, having grown up in the neighboring town of Bow, its a place full of meaningful lifelong connections. So Pam and I put our heads together to quickly reimagine the local wedding of our dreams, inviting everyone with whom we were acquainted. We called it our “Big Nasty Lesbian Jewish Wedding.” Here’s what we wrote on the public Facebook invitation:

Don we now our gay (warmest) apparel! Pam and Maddie are getting married on the NH State House Lawn! We invite you all to join us for our BIG NASTY LESBIAN JEWISH WEDDING! Come bearing rainbow flags, peaceful signs, and most importantly, GLITTER!

Come one! Come all - family, friends, neighbors, and community members alike! We welcome you to join us for this public ceremony of love, commitment, and community. Why get married in the dead of winter, you may ask? We never pictured our wedding in the winter, but we never pictured a lot of things that happened this year. In light of recent events, we decided we all needed a reason to come together in love, not hatred. 
If you, or someone you know, needs a reason to celebrate, we welcome you! If you, or someone you know, feels scared or isolated, we welcome you! If you, or someone you know, wants to attend the gayest of gay weddings, we welcome you! If you, or someone you know, has nothing better to do on January 15th, 2017, we welcome you! So please, know us or not, join us on this beautiful day! All we ask is that you RSVP to this Facebook event so we can plan for enough food/beverages. 

Jewish Wedding under chuppah
Married under the chuppah
at the NH State House
Reflecting on this day, I am warmed by all the love and support. People from all walks of life came together. Rabbi Robin Nafshi and Cantor Shira Nafshi from our Temple Beth Jacob community officiated our ceremony under the chuppah while many in the congregation held rainbow signs. Our chuppah was decorated with beautiful greens from Hannah Roberts at Sorella Flower Company in Hopkinton. She also provided the much gawked at bridal bouquet later in the evening. My Granite State Roller Derby community could not be missed with their sparkle, love and cheers. Former teachers, current business associates, family, and even my mother’s book group came in support. What an outpouring!

After the ceremony Pam and I walked down Main Street, past my shop, to the Capitol Center for the Arts where we held our community reception. Guests followed along and cheered amid supportive “honks” from passing cars and random congratulatory shouts from strangers.

Rainbow signs love is love
"I can't keep a straight face"
and "love is love" signs
Paula Dill, event planner for the Capitol Center, greeted our party. From the moment we contacted her through the actual wedding day, she created a seamless, beautiful reception. The young at heart and the young of age took turns in the photo booth provided by Katie Baca Photography and Crust and Crumb desserts were gobbled up by all.

After our community reception, we continued the celebration in the Kimball House, the victorian “mansion” attached to the Capitol Center. There we were well fed by caterers of The Granite restaurant and Sarah, the bartender at the Capitol Center, who handled one hundred people without even breaking a sweat.

My sister, Becky sang for us the timeless classic, “Somewhere Over the Rainbow”. Her crisp and melodious voice stirred a sense of harmony in my heart. I feel grateful for my community, and this simple life Pam and I have built. Like Dorothy waking from a dream, I think "if I ever go looking for my hearts desire, I won’t look any further than my own back yard, because if it isn’t there, then I never really lost it to begin with."
Pam and Maddie Newlywed

newlywed couple picture at fireplacebouquet of flowers on state house steps











No comments:

Post a Comment